Software Architect, Engineer,
· Over twenty years’ experience developing software
· Presented cumulatively to over 850,000 developers worldwide over the last 15 years.
· Videos of presentations have been viewed cumulatively over 8M times
· Specialist in user interface design, human-computer interaction, scalability, code generation and i18n/globalization
Skilled at design techniques and
applying those techniques with .
· Current Development with C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, Windows APIs through .NET 4.5
· Accomplished at Process Modeling, System Architecture and Design, and Scalability Architecture
· Adjunct Professor at the Oregon Institute of Technology specializing in C# and the Windows .NET Framework
· Contributor or Coordinator to a number of Open Source projects
· Board member of MonkeySquare open source non-profit, Advisory Board of OuterCurve open source organization
SPEAKING HIGHLIGHTS – http://hanselman.com/speaking
I’ve spoken at over 125 technical conferences to hundreds of thousands of attendees, including
· FOCUS 100 – Digital Undivided
· WebStock New Zealand – Personal Productivity
· KeepingItRealTime PDX – node.js and signalr
· Blogging While Brown – Blogging and Branding
· Microsoft WebCamps – Beijing, Shanghai, Sydney with James Senior
· Øredev in Malmo Sweden - Information Overload and Managing the Flow
· Mix in Las Vegas – Multiple Technical Presentations. Also hosted a live video stream viewed by >50,000
· Presenter at Microsoft Company Meeting at Safeco Field – Crowd attending was over 26,000
· http://speakinghacks.com – Video on how to be a better speaker
· http://speakermix.com/scott-hanselman - Speaker Mix profile and reviews
· Popular syndicated .blog at http://www.hanselman.com with over 1M PV
· Weekly podcast on iTunes and at http://www.hanselminutes.com. Roughly 500,000 monthly downloads in catalog
· Co-host of This Developers Life podcast with Rob Conery
· Co-host of Ratchet and The Geek podcast with Luvvie Ajayi
· Co-Author Professional ASP.NET MVC from Wrox/Wiley Press with Phil Haack, Rob Conery and Jon Galloway
· Co-Author Professional ASP.NET from Wrox/Wiley Press with Bill Evjen and Devin Rader
· Contributor to ASP.NET MVP Hacks from Wrox/Wiley Press with David Yack and others
· Technical Reviewer or Foreword writer on many books from Wrox, O'Reilly, Sybex and others.
OPEN SOURCE CONTRIBUTIONS https://github.com/shanselman and others
· Lead on Newtelligence dasBlog Community Edition hosted on SourceForge building on the work of Clemens Vasters and many others. DasBlog is one of the most popular ASP.NET blogging engines. Recent refactorings have resulted in performance improvements of over 400%. BSD License.
· BabySmash: WPF Application for toddlers
· Web Application Testing in Ruby (WATIR) Recording application WatirMaker hosted on http://openqa.org. Apache License
· USB Security Key Fob .NET Plugin Model with Bryan Batchelder
· Tiny Virtual Operating System in C#
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
MVP (Most Valuable Professional) Award for 2003, 2004 for ASP.
and 2005 for Solutions Architect – www.microsoft.com/mvp
Developer Network) Regional Director - www.microsoft.com/rd
Regional Director of the Year – Developer Community
Member of the .
· Member of the Software Association of Oregon’s Developer SIG Steering Committee
· Former Member of the INETA (International .NET Association) Speaker’s Bureau
Former Member of the Advisory Council
· Former Vendor Committee Chairman for the Open Financial Exchange (OFX) XML standard consortium
· Former Member of the Web Services Interoperability Organization (WS-I) Basic Profile 1.0 working group
Bachelors of Science
in Software Engineering, Oregon Institute of Technology,
OIT Young Professional Achievement Award
· Microsoft Certified (MCP), Trainer (MCT), and Solution Developer (MCSD) – Transcript #23012
September 2007 to Present, Principal Program Manager Lead, Microsoft, working remotely from Portland, OR, http://www.microsoft.com (NASDAQ:MSFT)
Developer Division Community Liaison creating content for www.asp.net, www.silverlight.net, and other Microsoft "DevDiv" properties. Working across the division to ensure community feedback is taken deep into the organization.
· Community manager for Azure, ASP.NET and IIS
· Program Manager on ASP.NET and Azure Web Tools
· Program Manager working across ASP.NET and Visual Studio to create a better integrated developer experience
· 2010 Developer Division “Compass Award” recipient
· Led a team of six Senior Program Managers working in the Developer Community space.
· Worked on multiple revisions of the http://www.asp.net developer portal
· Wrote and released a number of Open Source developer learning projects.
· Presenting advanced developer topics at Developer Conferences internationally.
· Blogging, Content Creation, Screencasting, Videos, Presentations, Articles for MSDN Magazine, Book Writing.
· Engaging with the larger .NET community across the division.
June 2001 to August 2007, Chief Architect, Corillian,
Portland, OR, http://www.corillian.com
Corillian is the leading provider of online Retail Banking software with 25% of the U.S. Banking Population touched.
· Development of .NET Technology Roadmap spanning the platform and product line.
· Architect on Corillian’s Voyager eFinance Application Server SDK versions from inception through 2.3.
· Architect on Corillian’s first 100% .NET Application, an ASP.NET-based Personalization Manager
· Architect on a revision of our Campaign Management product resulting in a 10-fold increase in scalability
· Presenting and coordination of company-wide .NET Training.
· Sales Engineer assisting on sales calls and deals in the multi-million dollar range.
· Technical Facilitator between cross-functional group on topics such as automating build processes, creation of technical documentation, scalability testing, enterprise-wide architecture and migration to .NET.
· Coordinating transition of key products to Microsoft’s .NET Framework as well as managing the technical relationship with Microsoft
June 2003 to Present, Adjunct Professor, Oregon Institute of Technology, Portland, OR, http://www.oit.edu
· Teaching CST407 – C# and the Windows .NET Framework
Co-development of Web Services Theory curriculum at the Portland Campus taught by
· Instructor for Practical XML and other professional development courses at Oregon Graduate Institute
April 1995 to June 2001, Principal Consultant, STEP
Design and implementation of software for diverse clients. Some projects include:
· Consulting with Microsoft’s (PAG) Prescriptive Architecture Group on the design and implementation of the MSDN Reference Architecture for E-Commerce.
· Architect constructing http://www.gear.com, a large e-commerce site selling clearance sports equipment. Design and implementation of the VB business objects, presentation, and SQL Database.
· Architect designing and implementing a wireless (WML/WAP, PocketPC, PalmPilot) front end to a Financial Services Aggregator. The interface allowed querying of stock quotes, portfolio display, etc.
· Architect working on http://www.netlibrary.com, a large producer of e-books. Consulted on system design, scalability factors and e-book distribution models.
· Architect on the team constructing http://www.800.com, a large e-commerce site selling home electronics equipment. Design of site user interface, as well as the implementation of HTML and graphic elements for the interface. Consulted on scalability and hardware design.
· Design and implementation of Navigation, UI Model and System Architecture for an ActiveX IE browser-based enterprise sales application called Aurum/Baan Front Office http://www.baan.com.
· Guided Program Architecture, User Interface and Internationalization design for Visual C++ Online Training Application for Intel’s utilizing the IE ActiveX Control and DHTML Object Model. Application enabled in 12 languages, including Japanese and Traditional and Simplified Chinese.
Lead Engineer on Oregon Public
Broadcasting Website Project at http://www.opb.org
utilizing Active Server Pages (ASP) to interface
Lead GUI Engineer on large 3-tier
Client-Server Application for
· Lead Engineer and Project Manager on Foolproof DOS-Based Security System written in C and Borland C++ with TurboVision Text-mode GUI API.
· Lead GUI Engineer for SmartStuff Software’s Foolproof Security System for both Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 in Visual C++/MFC. Designed and wrote 16- and 32-bit Application’s Interface as well as Installation Application. Localized project to French and assisted in localization to Japanese.
1993 – 1995, Software Engineer, Chrome Data Corporation,
Wrote software for commercial sale to the Auto Industry. Projects include:
· Designed and implemented User Interface for PCCarbook, a Windows 3.1-based Auto-specification application. Written in Visual Basic 3.0, C++, and Pascal, connecting to SQL Server via DAO.
· Designed and implemented components for a 3-tiered Automated Fax-Back and VISA Ordering System for Car Pricing Quotes. Microsoft SQL Back end talking to multi-port Digifax that faxed quotes directly to the customer.
1989 – Present, Lead Engineer, Tweak Computer
Design and Implementation of a Diabetes
Management application GlucoPilot for PalmOS.
Localized to French, Spanish and German.
Developed "BrickFinder Kiosk"
· Design and Implementation of a POC Real Estate Multiple Listing application for PalmOS. Included interfacing with SQL7 via dialup access to update data remotely.
· Technical consulting, business development and on-site classes for clients such as Portland General Electric, ADP, Columbia Software and others. Technology consulting with law firms over patent disputes.
· Travel – Europe, Asia, all over Africa
· Amateur Linguistics – Spanish, Amharic (Ethiopian), and Bantu Languages (Ndebele, Zulu)
· Performing – Standup Comedy
· Blogging and Podcasting – http://www.hanselman.com
· STEM focused on Diversity and Inclusion in Technology