Why is it all the crazy stuff happens to me? I mean SERIOUSLY crazy.
I am running a VirtualPC with Visual Studio Beta 2 inside it, and I like to keep my code out of the VM and safe on my system. So, I usually share a folder using the Virtual PC built in sharing.
However, for some reason, BETA 2 doesn't like it like BETA 1 did and I get "Failed to Monitor Directory Changes."
I did give this drive (my Z: Drive) full trust, though:
caspol -q -machine -addgroup 1 -url file://z:/* FullTrust -name "Z Drive"
This way .NET won't freak out that I'm running and debugging off a non-attached drive.
But, it still wasn't feeling it, so I disconnected the VirtualPC Drive and did a straight Mapped Drive/Network Share from my VirtualPC to my Host OS. After a few builds within BETA 2 I received this charmer from the Yellow Screen of Death:
"The network BIOS command limit has been reached. See KB 810866."
WTF?! Um. Ok. Believe me, I couldn't have been more shocked if the thing had told me that my CMOS Battery was dead and that I should run SpinRite to reformat my MFM hard drive. Sheesh. Do I need to load freaking QEMM into the UMB to get this thing to work? EMM386.EXE anyone? Can I get a TSR please? Is Trumpet Winsock installed?
Ah, how comforting that there are exactly TWO instances of this on Google, THEY ARE THE SAME SITE, and more interestingly, that I shall be #3.
Google Groups you say? The USENET? Of course. Um, NO. Exactly ONE message from two months ago and that guy received the standard flame - "Why would you want to do that?" (actually he was a little lower level, actually programatically setting up file change notifications within his own app to fiels located on network shares. But still.)
So, I'm told to check out, yes, wait for it, wait for it, the LanManager Workstation and Server keys in the Registry's HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/yadayadayada.
Coming Soon, Longhorn from the makers of LanMan and EDLIN!
But I'm not bitter.
Long story short, I shall be doing my BETA 2 dev locally.
NOTE OF SANITY: Before you freak out also, rememeber, this is using the new Cassini-style local web server, NOT IIS. Basically the local web server assumes its, well, local. So, it sets up some local file watchers that are a bit too chatty for the SMB Network Protocol. Yes, I tried upping the Registry Key values from the KB. No, it didn't work.