Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Special Edition is finally out. It's such a huge book physically that there was trouble at the printers.
If you haven't already bought the original one, this updated book is only $37.79 on Amazon, which is pretty good for 1584 pages. Here's a PDF of the Table of Contents. Here's the index as well.
The four new chapters and two Appendices we added are (from Jim's blog):
- Chapter 14 "Introduction to the Provider Model" - 38 pages
- Chapter 15 "Extending the Provider Model" – 36 pages
- Chapter 30: Localization – 26 pages
- Chapter 32: Instrumentation – 38 pages
- Appendix B: Migrating ASP.NET 1.x projects – 12 pages
- Appendix C: Using Atlas – 16 pages
Then there's a long list additions within existing chapters:
- Chapter 2: Added Class Designer File and Open Test Bench
- Chapter 3: Added Build Providers
- Chapter 4: An additional more complex callback example
- Chapter 6: Added Uploading multiple files from the same page
- Chapter 11:
- Added: SqlDataSource Configuration Wizard to add optimistic concurrency
- Added SqlDataSource Events, Using the SqlDataSource with Oracle, AccessDataSource Control
- Added GridView events that fire when the data binding occurs
- Added Using the TemplateField Column in the GridView Control
- Added Using the TemplateField’s EditItemTemplate
- Added Expressions and Expression Builder
- Chapter 12:
- Added Using Oracle as Your Database with ASP.NET 2.0
- Chapter 13: Added "Generating Custom XML from SQL 2005"
- Chapter 16 "Site Navigation"
- Added what a HTTP sniffer does
- Added Security Trimming
- Added Setting up Role Management for administrators
- Added Nesting SiteMap Files
- Chapter 17 Personalization: Added new section at end on Managing Application Profiles.
- Chapter 18: Membership and Role Management
- Added locking out users who provide bad passwords
- Added generating random passwords
- Chapter 19: Web Parts
- Added 10 new pages on connecting Web Parts
- Chapter 24 File I/O and Streams
- Chapter 25 User and Server Controls
- Added Loading User Controls Dynamically – about 4 pages
- Chapter 31 Configuration:
- Added about 2 pages on trust levels
- Added about 3 pages on encrypting configuration files
Beyond that, there were numerous sections where a page or less of material was added, replaced, examples replaced, and so on.
You also get a DVD with the 180 day Trial edition of Visual Studio 2005. There's a CD with PDFs of chapters from 15 or 16 other Wrox ASP.NET 2.0, C# 2005, VB 2005, .NET 2.0, and SQL Server 2005 books. Most of the books on the CD provide 2 meaty chapters, plus full TOCs and indexes. There are more than 1000 pages of chapter content on the CD.
It's also hardcover so you can beat off hobos.