I noticed that just the HTML on my home page was over 100K, so I turned HttpCompression on with the Blowery HttpCompression Module:
<configSections> <sectionGroup name="blowery.web"> <section name="httpCompressionModule" type="blowery.Web.HttpModules.HttpCompressionModuleSectionHandler, HttpCompressionModule"/> </sectionGroup> </configSections> <blowery.web> <httpCompressionModule preferredAlgorithm="gzip" compressionLevel="high"/> </blowery.web><system.web>
However, there's a series of majorly icky bugs in most versions of IE and a few of them are JUST RIDICULOUS. It's bitten me before, so as much as I support companies like XCompress (XCache) and HttpZip and the whole concept of HttpCompression, I'm a little wary. Let me know if you have a problem. Of course, if you can't read this, you have a problem. :)
Scott Hanselman is a former professor, former Chief Architect in finance, now speaker, consultant, father, diabetic, and Microsoft employee. I am a failed stand-up comic, a cornrower, and a book author.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way.