ASP.NET MVC 3 Preview 1 Released – Channel 9 Video and Hanselminutes Podcast 224, Oh My!
Phil and friends released ASP.NET MVC 3 Preview 1 today. I snuck into the office of Phil Haack and Morgan the Canadian Intern to talk about the release of ASP.NET MVC 3 Preview 1 and some of the cool "futures" stuff that Morgan (and our fleet of interns) is working on. This video isn't only about MVC as Morgan's working on some cool CSS Sprites stuff that works nicely in WebForms that you should check out as well.
Also, my two-hundred-and-twenty-fourth podcast is up and I talk more in depth with, yes, you guessed, it, Phil Haack. More detail in a less shaky-camera format.
What's new in ASP.NET MVC 3?
Note that installing ASP.NET MVC 3 won't mess up your ASP.NET MVC 2 applications.
- Razor Syntax View Engine - Cleaner view syntax
- Dynamic View and ViewModel properties - passing data between controllers and views using dynamic rather than a dictionary
- "Add View" Dialog Box Supports Multiple View Engines - You two can be in this box.
- Service Location and Dependency Injection Support - Get your DI hooked into controller factories, dependency injection, action filters and View Pages.
- Global Filters - put filters on the all control methods
- New JsonValueProviderFactory Class - Model bind directly to JSON-encoded data
- Support for .NET Framework 4 Validation Attributes and IValidatableObject - Easier validation including validating one property based on another.
- New IClientValidatable Interface - Discovering at runtime if the client supports validation.
- Support for .NET Framework 4 Metadata Attributes - Support .NET 4 specific attributes like DisplayAttribute
- New IMetadataAware Interface - Write your own attributes to contribute to the ModelMetadata creation process.
- New Action Result Types - HttpNotFoundResult, HttpStatusCodeResult.
- Permanent Redirect - More easily return 301s for Actions, Routes or any URL.
ASP.NET MVC Preview 1 Link Round-Up
- Download ASP.NET MVC 3 Preview 1 - Note: Requires ASP.NET 4
- but most importantly: ASP.NET MVC Preview 1 Release Notes are on this page.
- ScottGu: Introducing ASP.NET MVC 3 (Preview 1)
- ScottGu: Razor ViewEngine
- Brad Wilson on ASP.NET MVC 3's improved Dependency Injection Support.
- Phil Haack: ASP.NET MVC 3 Preview 1 Released
Telerik is our sponsor for this show.
Hanselminutes podcasts listeners can get $50 off any Telerik product this summer. All interested listeners should drop an email to email@example.com and mention the Hanselminutes promo and their sales team will reply with the special $50-off coupon code.
Building quality software is never easy. It requires skills and imagination. We cannot promise to improve your skills, but when it comes to User Interface and developer tools, we can provide the building blocks to take your application a step closer to your imagination. Explore the leading UI suites for ASP.NET AJAX, MVC, Silverlight,Windows Forms and WPF. Enjoy developer tools like .NET Reporting,ORM, Automated Testing Tools, Agile Project Management Tools, and Content Management Solution. And now you can increase your productivity with JustCode, Telerik’s new productivity tool for code analysis and refactoring. Visit www.telerik.com.