August 2005 Quickie Update
Hey folks, I'm still on vacation with the family, but so you won't stop reading my blog and wonder if there will ever be an update again, here's what I've been doing in no particular order.
- New Music: I've been totally digging/obsessed with this South African band called "freshlyground." They are an eclectic mix of pop/jazz/xhosa and they're a blast. You can have a listen here. I highly recommend "Mowbray Kaap" on their album "Nomvula." If you can find it, get it.
- Sidebars galore: Google Desktop now has a Sidebar. Now that I've completely switched over to Microsoft Desktop Search, it's surprising that Google beat them to this. I've installed it and am running it with the search index off. I think I still like Konfabulator Widgets though, and it'd be interesting to write a Konfabulator Sidebar. (BTW, both are free, so at least download Konfabulator! Ya, I know it's a memory hog, so what?)
- Speed: FireTune seems like a great idea but I always wonder why apps can't just tune themselves?
- Maps: It's lovely that Omar is looking for reasons not to use Google and that he's stopped using it for maps. However, is it just me or is Virtual Earth virtually unusable? I can't figure out how to do a simple address search without double-taking. The interface is truly obtuse and the results are unforgiving. Google Maps is wonderfully elegant. Maybe it's just me. He loves the MSN Weather Add-In also, but I yawn at that since I'm using ForecastFox.
- Babies: The baby is chugging along. We're at 25 weeks right now. It's been the non-pregnancy-pregnancy. She's had no sickness, no sleepnessness, no weird food. Nada. We hope the next 15 weeks are as easy to handle - certainly the next 18 years won't be as easy!
- Ajax: I've been looking at a number of Ajax libraries lately, and I'm disillusioned by the bizarre drama going around around Ajax.net. I can't fathom why the guy didn't just put up a zip file then use SourceForge. The code's far to complex for what it does anyway, IMHO. I have been impressed by Jason Diamond's implementation though, which is nice and simple. As of this writing his latest is here. I've also checked out Mochikit and a number of others.
- Del.icio.us: This continues to rock my world. If you're interested you can subscribe to my del.icio.us RSS feed and see what I'm currently bookmarking. If you end up using del.icio.us, for gosh sake DO use the BookMarkLets. They are a treat.
- Fun: Here's my list of hilarious or poignant blogs I'm reading/subscribed to...
- Um, OK: Aeon Flux. At least they tried.
Now playing: Freshlyground - Touch In The Night