Exporting tabular data to Excel from ASP.NET
There's a number of ways to "export" data to Excel from an ASP.NET site - some more elegant than others.
- Gross: You can use ASP.NET to generate a CSV file of Mime Type text/plain or text/csv and write it back to the browser.
- NOT Gross: You can use ASP.NET to generate an XML-SS (Excel XML Spreadsheet) document and write it back to the browser.
- Really Easy but not Really XMLy: You can take advantage of the ASP.NET DataGrid's ability to generate HTML tables quickly and return the page with a Mime Type of application/vnd.ms-excel. Here's a great example on how to create these reports.
- Easy but uses 3rd Party Control: Use ExcelWriter on the server side to create the Report.
- Disgusting: Automate Excel on the ServerSide. Don't do this for Pete's Sake.