Power User Windows Registry Tweaks
I've collected these over the years, and I keep them in My Documents so I can setup a new machine the way I like it. I remember where I found a few, others not so much. So, if I've not thanked you - thank you. If you were the one that made a particular hack, let me know in comments and you'll be attributed.
Warning: Use this stuff so VERY much At Your Own Risk. And read them in notepad before you double-click to make sure any paths are appropriate to your machine.
- Add 'Cleanup Drives' to the My Computer Right-Click Menu:
- Add 'Notepad2' to ALL Right-Click Menus [Steve Clark] (note: I renamed Notepad2 to n.exe to save all those 'otepads'):
- Add 'Event Viewer' to the My Computer Right-Click Menu:
- Fix the Windows Search and treat all unknown extensions as text (.txt) files [Chris Sells]:
- Update/Change the CleanMgr.exe (Drive Cleanup) to include better options, and remove the unused and slow Compress Old Files [Shawn A. Van Ness] (warning: this deletes four registry keys):
- Adds System Restore, Services, LogOff, Reboot, Shutdown, Device Manager, Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs to My Computer Right-Click Menu:
- Cause Cmd.exe to ALWAYS run 'vsvars32.bat' no matter what [Travis Illig]
UPDATE: Sorry, my ISP was blocking .reg extensions. They are now .txt, you'll need to SaveAs... them yourself.
UPDATE^2: Oy, sorry again, bad link on VolumeCaches.reg and bad chars in MajorControl.reg. Fixed. Thanks for catching it.