Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Special Edition coming in September
The secret's out. A 'special edition' (updated second edition) of Professional ASP.NET 2.0 is coming out in September.
It's a freaking beast. If you didn't get the book when it came out last year, now's the time to pre-order this one...
What's the difference between the first one and the Special Edition? About 300 pages of new content. It's about 1650 pages now, enough to beat someone up, if you use the Hardcover. And the Hardcover is only $37.79 to preorder the last time I checked at Amazon. Although, you could hurt someone with the Wrox Box.
Bill Evjen lead the charge on much of this new content, with Devin and I adding missing and/or new content in dozens of places throughout the book. There's an excerpt of the new section on the FileUpload Server Control up at Wrox.com.
Here's a brief list of what's updated and new in this new edition.
FOUR completely new chapters:
- Introduction to the Provider Model
- Extending the Provider Model
TWO new appendixes:
- Migrating ASP.NET 1.x Projects
- Using Atlas
...and dozens of additions throughout all the existing chapters, including:
- Class Designers and Open Test Bench
- Build providers
- A More Complex Callback Example
- Uploading multiple files from the same page
- As an example, in Chapter 11, DataBinding in ASP.NET 2.0 these changes:
- Added SqlDataSource Configuration Wizard to add optimistic concurrency
- Added SqlDataSource Events, Using the SqlDataSource with Oracle, AccessDataSource Control
- Added GridView events that fire when the data binding occurs
- Added Using the TemplateField Column in the GridView Control
- Added Using the TemplateField's EditItemTemplate
- Added Expressions and Expression Builder
- Using Oracle as Your Database with ASP.NET 2.0
- Added Generating Custom XML from SQL 2005
That's the list up through about the first 1/2 of the book...there's a pile more...
And there's an added DVD which is the Visual Studio 2005 Professional 180 day trial, and there's an added CD which contains more than 1000 pages of selected chapters from other Wrox .NET 2.0, ASP.NET 2.0, VB 2005, C# 2005, and SQL Server books.