Visual Studio 2003 disappears when opening a Web Project
My buddy Ramkumar at work today had a weird problem. When he opened a Web Project in Visual Studio 2003, the IDE *disappeared*. Not crashed, not Dr. Watsoned, but poof. Aren't those the best bugs?
Anyway, we poked around for a bit and did these things that one does when debugging VS.NET 2003 Web Project problems.
- Checked that IIS was running and on Port 80. Check. Not the problem.
- Checked that ASP.NET was installed and installed it again just in case with ASPNET_REGIIS.EXE -i. Check. Not the problem.
- Checked with Spybot that nothing nasty was installed and watching the network. Check. Not the problem.
- Checked that Front Page Extensions were installed by right clicking a VDir within IIS's MMC-based Admin.
- Yikes, not there. How could VS.NET have installed, FP is a prerequisite.
- Went into Add/Remove Programs, then Windows Setup and installed Front Page Extensions.
- Then configured FP by right-clicking the Web and selecting "Configure Front Page Extensions"
Then it all worked and we were left with that sickening feeling that we had a small spot on our floor and ended up laying down completely new carpet.