Hanselman's Newsletter of Wonderful Things: February 4th, 2013
I have a "whenever I get around to doing it" Newsletter of Wonderful Things. Why a newsletter? I dunno. It seems more personal somehow. Fight me.
Still, it's one more site to check and it's a hassle for some of you Dear Readers. Therefore, I will still do the newsletter, but I'll post each newsletter to the blog some weeks later.
You can view all the previous newsletters here. You can sign up here Newsletter of Wonderful Things or just wait and get them later on the blog, which hopefully you have subscribed to.
Thanks again for signing up for this experiment. Here's some interesting things I've come upon this week. If you forwarded this (or if it was forwarded to you) a reminder, you signed up at http://hanselman.com/newsletter and the archive of all previous Newsletters is here.
- A PILE of LifeHacks. Really take a minute and check them out. MIND BLOWN.
- From John Carmack: "'Sometimes, the elegant implementation is a function. Not a method. Not a class. Not a framework. Just a function."
- This is what happens if you give a cake shop a USB stick containing an image you want to appear on a cake:http://i.imgur.com/xTQEp9Z.jpg via @harrisimo
- A great pep talk from Kid President.
- A good list of the most popular fonts of 2012, by http://www.myfonts.com/newsletters/sp/201301.html
- Plex is the media center software ecosystem I've been waiting for
- "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes. - WG"
- So, this happened. http://heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa.com
- Guy recreates entire Toy Story using real toys and live action.
- Learn How to Use Windows 95 with Jennifer Aniston and Matthew Perry
- Doom 3: Gangnam Style using WebGL, all in your modern browser. Insane.
- 300 Million Year Old Machine found in Russia...aliens?
- Learn Advanced HTML & CSS with one useful guide
- Wonder how those Computer UIs in movies like Tron get created?
- Taking project management too far? Scrum for Kids.
- The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord
- Meet “Dashan,” the Canadian Comedian Who Achieved Accidental Stardom in China
(BTW, since you *love* email you can subscribe to my blog via email here: http://feeds.hanselman.com/ScottHanselman DO IT!)
P.P.S. You know you can forward this to your friends, right?
Sponsor: Big thanks to this week's sponsor. I've checked this book out myself and it's VERY useful. Free eBook – 50 ASP. NET & SQL Server performance tips from the dev community, to help you avoid, find, and fix performance issues in your ASP.NET app. Download it from http://www.red-gate.com/50ways