Details on the 2010 Diabetes Walk and a Thank You
Over the last few months I've blogged and tweeted about diabetes (in between my regular stuff) and you guys, Dear Readers, have be so kind as to donate over US$32,000 to Team Hanselman via the American Diabetes Association. We haven't hit our arbitrary $50k goal, but I'm totally amazed we made it this far, using only and entirely social media.
If you're interested in learning more about Diabetes and Type 1 Diabetes (what I have) then check out some of the stuff made this summer.
- I recorded a podcast with Type 1 Diabetic Marathon Runner Gary Schmidt from runningwitht1.com
- I posted a number of times in my Diabetes category showing new technology and hardware that helps me manage.
- I recorded a video on YouTube showing what I go through in managing my diabetes
As a point of interest, in 2007 I tweeted every single time I had to manage some aspect of my diabetes in a day. You might be surprised how often we diabetics have to think about diabetes. I hope YOU think about it as you enjoy that cookie! ;)
Also, check out "Diabetes: The Airplane Analogy" for a clear explanation on how blood sugar, insulin, and all this equipment works together.
This next Sunday the 12th, as a culmination of all this, we'll be walking as Team Hanselman in the ADA's StepOut to Fight Diabetes. If you are in or around Portland, you are welcome to join our team and meet us at the Team Hanselman tent.
We'll be walking with many thousands at the Rose Quarter in Portland. We'll be doing the three mile walk.
- 8am: Registration opens w/ light breakfast
- 8:40: Opening ceremony begins – Red Strider Ambassadors, ADA Researcher Dr. Michael Harris, Warm-ups, NAYA Youth Dancers and NARA Drum Group
- 9:00: One, three and six mile walk begins through Irvington District
- 10:15ish: Lunch, entertainment, bouncy houses, basketball hoop, music from the River City Ramblers, Health Fair Tent, face painting and more.
- 11:15: Kids Race Walk w/ Coach Carmen
- 12:30: Portland Step Out: Walk to Fight Diabetes Finishes
Thanks to EVERYONE for all their help and support! Remember if you donated to please make sure your company matches your donation. Also, there's still time to make a tax-deductable donation and get it matched. Also feel free to give to your local country's diabetes organization as well!
Feel free to spread the word on social networking sites with this short link: http://hnsl.mn/diabeteswalk
You're a wonderful bunch of Dear Readers and I truly thank you for your support.