Hanselminutes Podcast 48 - Introduction Board Gaming for Geeks and Programmers
My forty-eighth Podcast is up. I've finally buckled to intense peer pressure ;) and become a board gamer. More and more I've noticed that what I thought board games were like is wrong. There's a thriving alternative (to Monopoly, at least) board gaming world out there, and it's a great place for programmers to hang out. In this episode we talk about board games as an alternative to the HD-Xbox-PS3-Wii overload that many geeks and their families face in this increasingly techo-saturated time.
We're listed in the iTunes Podcast Directory, so I encourage you to subscribe with a single click (two in Firefox) with the button below. For those of you on slower connections there are lo-fi and torrent-based versions as well.
Links from the show are also always on the show site. This particular show had some great links, do check them out. Do also remember the archives are always up and they have PDF Transcripts, a little known feature that show up a few weeks after each show.
Our sponsors are CodeSmith Tools, /n software and the .NET Dev Journal.
As I've said before this show comes to you with the audio expertise and stewardship of Carl Franklin. The name comes from Travis Illig, but the goal of the show is simple. Avoid wasting the listener's time. (and make the commute less boring)
- The basic MP3 feed is here, and the iPod friendly one is here. There's a number of other ways you can get it (streaming, straight download, etc) that are all up on the site just below the fold. I use iTunes, myself, to listen to most podcasts, but I also use FeedDemon and it's built in support.
- Some other clients are Doppler (also suppose Windows CE), FireAnt, Nimiq, and PrimeTime Podcast.
- Note that for now, because of bandwidth constraints, the feeds always have just the current show. If you want to get an old show (and because many Podcasting Clients aren't smart enough to not download the file more than once) you can always find them at http://www.hanselminutes.com.
- I have, and will, also include the enclosures to this feed you're reading, so if you're already subscribed to ComputerZen and you're not interested in cluttering your life with another feed, you have the choice to get the 'cast as well.
- If there's a topic you'd like to hear, perhaps one that is better spoken than presented on a blog, or a great tool you can't live without, contact me and I'll get it in the queue!
Enjoy. Who knows what'll happen in the next show?
Scott Hanselman is a former professor, former Chief Architect in finance, now speaker, consultant, father, diabetic, and Microsoft employee. He is a failed stand-up comic, a cornrower, and a book author.
A lot of programmers find Board Games, particuarly ones that involve strategy and analysis, to be a nice reprieve from the grind of the computer keyboard.
I have about 50 other topics, most technical, queued up. You're always welcome to email me with topics that you're interested in hearing.
I can vouch for settlers and the two expansions (Seafarers plus Cities and Knights).
Comments are closed.
are you out of interesting issues to talk about ?
maybe next week you should do a show about knitting....
This is the worst Hanselminutes EVER, I wanted to shoot myself in the head (I switched to radio instead)