Scott's List of Great Tools for your TabletPC
John Lam just got his Toshiba M200, much like my M205, this series of Convertible Tablets are fast becoming the de facto standard.
What should John install on his new Tablet? Well, I'm glad you asked.
Scott's Tablet PC "Must Have" Software List
(assuming you already have other appropriate tools and add-ins)
- ArtRage - It's free, and it's amazing. If you remember being blown away the first time you used Kai's Power Tools, you'll feel the same way with ArtRage. In the You can create some AMAZING art with an organic quality I've just never seen on a PC. If you do one thing this weekend, install it and use the "Load Tracing Paper" Feature.
- Paint.NET - This is a must have tool Tablet PC or not, but since the 2.0 version added Ink support, you'll find it very comfortable for making annotations to screenshots.
- ShareKMC - Different from MaxiVista, ShareKMC is a PAIR of programs that act as a virtual Keyboard and Mouse to control your Tablet PC from you main machine. When I don't want to use the Tablet as an extension of my main computer, I want to use my main computer's keyboard and mouse as an extension of my Tablet!
- Wallpaper Gyro - The Toshiba M205 has a Gyroscope installed so no matter how you hold it, when you press the hardware "orient" button on the edge of the screen the system will switch to the correct orientation. Wallpaper Gyro will not only automatically change your wallpaper when the orientation changes, but it allows you to have different wallpaper for each orientation!
- InkPlayer - Easily create Macromedia Flash playbacks of animated ink stokes!
- Get Microsoft's OneNote From IE PowerToy to move content from IE to OneNote
- Tablet PC PowerToys - Get any and all of these, but I use:
- Physics Illustrator - This one helped me out when I went back to finish my degree and was stuck in Physics 203.
- New York Times Crossword Puzzle - This one is the bomb-diggity. Even the wife digs it. The only complaint is it's not re-sizable, but the Zoom to 640x480 feature of the Toshiba Tablet fixes that. The Crossword app lets you download today's Crossword for solving off line. Fantastic for the bus or train ride to work.
- Pool for Tablet - This is worth at least $20, but it's FREE. A wonderful game of Pool with all the graphics and physics to make you smile, and it's all TabletPC enabled. Be sure to try playing over a wireless network with a friend.
- Snipping Tool - A new tool that some folks haven't seen yet, this lets you "cut out" portions of the screen for annotation. It's the Pen's take on the traditional screen shot tool.
- Music Composition - Free and it lets you write Sheet Music with your Tablet PC
- Energy Blue Theme - An Media Center-inspired theme for the Tablet PC
- Make your own Handwriting Font - A winner of the Tablet PC applet content, you can make your own TrueType Font out of your Handwriting. Amazing.
- TabletPC Enhancements for Outlook - Outlook isn't exactly TabletPC-friendly. An Outlook-Addin, you can create Appointments and Tasks in Outlook using Ink.
- MindManager for the TabletPC - If you use Mind Mapping software, it's even more intuitive and comfortable when the application has seamless Tablet PC support.
Note: Here's a friendly link to this post.