The Computer Back - Pain and the Programmer
I'm on my butt today. More specifically, on my back. This weekend my lower back seized up - just one muscle it seems, as the back turns into butt. It's amazing how a little stabilizer muscle can go nuts suddenly and mess up your whole system.
I call it "Programmer Back" as there are a handful of other folks that sit in front of a machine all day that have had this problem.
It seems the symptoms are nearly universal:
- Everything is fine, often for months.
- A seizing happens and you drop to your knees.
- Often you can't stand without help, or if you do, you're bent over like an old person.
- If you don't move, you're OK, but bending over, or rolling out of the bed become impossible.
- It lasts for as little as 3 days or a much as a week and a half.
Some say ice, some say heat, some say massage. Still others advocate chiropractic.
Have you had Programmers Back? How do you deal with it?