John Lam just got his Toshiba M200, much like my M205, this series of Convertible Tablets are fast becoming the de facto standard.
What should John install on his new Tablet? Well, I'm glad you asked.
Scott's Tablet PC "Must Have" Software List
(assuming you already have other appropriate tools and add-ins)
- It's free, and it's amazing. If you remember being blown away the first time you used Kai's Power Tools
, you'll feel the same way with ArtRage. In the You can create some AMAZING art
with an organic quality I've just never seen on a PC. If you do one thing this weekend, install it and use the "Load Tracing Paper" Feature.
- This is a must have tool Tablet PC or not, but since the 2.0 version added Ink support, you'll find it very comfortable for making annotations to screenshots.
- Different from MaxiVista
, ShareKMC is a PAIR of programs that act as a virtual Keyboard and Mouse to control your Tablet PC from you main machine. When I don't want to use the Tablet as an extension of my main computer, I want to use my main computer's keyboard and mouse as an extension of my Tablet
- The Toshiba M205 has a Gyroscope installed so no matter how you hold it, when you press the hardware "orient" button on the edge of the screen the system will switch to the correct orientation. Wallpaper Gyro will not only automatically change your wallpaper when the orientation changes, but it allows you to have different wallpaper for each orientation!
- Easily create Macromedia Flash playbacks of animated ink stokes!
and Fraction Practice
- Great for the young people in your life. A series of Tablet PC-enabled FlashCards that let kids practice Math with Ink!
Alias SketchBook Pro
- It costs, but it has a very different style
and goal (IMHO) than ArtRage, and the output is different in philosophy. ArtRage is largely about paint, and Alias is about pencils and sketching.
- This one helped me out when I went back to finish my degree and was stuck in Physics 203.
New York Times Crossword Puzzle
- This one is the bomb-diggity. Even the wife digs it. The only complaint is it's not re-sizable, but the Zoom to 640x480 feature of the Toshiba Tablet fixes that. The Crossword app lets you download today's Crossword for solving off line. Fantastic for the bus or train ride to work.
Pool for Tablet
- This is worth at least $20, but it's FREE. A wonderful game of Pool with all the graphics and physics to make you smile, and it's all TabletPC enabled. Be sure to try playing over a wireless network with a friend.
- A new tool that some folks haven't seen yet, this lets you "cut out" portions of the screen for annotation. It's the Pen's take on the traditional screen shot tool.
MindManager for the TabletPC
- If you use Mind Mapping software, it's even more intuitive and comfortable when the application has seamless Tablet PC support.
Note: Here's a friendly link to this post.