The CodingHorror Ultimate Developer Rig Throwdown: Part 2
Originally I'd figured I'd shoot the moon and buy a mega-machine for and obscene amount of money, but then I realized that not only do I not have mega-money, but at some point one reaches a point of diminishing returns.
I want this machine to be ridiculously fast, but I want the price/performance ratio to be ideal.
Here's what Jeff and I finally came up with.
- Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811129025 $154.99
- MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813130081 $144.99
- 2 x MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256E-OC GeForce 8600GTS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Over Clock Edition HDCP Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814127284 $337.98
- Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822136012 $199.99
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822148136 $119.99
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115017 $531.90
- Scythe SCMN-1100 100mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail
Item #: N82E16835185037 $32.99
- CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817139001 $129.99
- 2 x Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N5K2/2G - OEM
Item #: N82E16820134117 $216.98
- LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write and LightScribe Technology Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model LH-20A1H-185 - OEM
Item #: N82E16827106055 $33.99
- Subtotal: $1,903.79
In the coming few weeks we'll put it together, and then add Jeff's special touch which will include sound damping and overclocking. There will be pics and details on the performance before and after, and we'll see what this $1900 machine will be capable of.